Thursday, March 22, 2007

Rona's Back !!!



I'm committed!!! You know how it is; those UFO's that are lurking in your stash pile. Rona was started about two years ago due to the influence of Carol R (BTW check our her new blog). Carol M will be happy to know I'm back on track with this sweater.

I absolutely love Fair Isle patterns. I assume it is because I love petit point, crewel and other needlearts that foster delicate patterns. I also believe it links to our delight with patterns of all types. Earlier in the week I viewed and older PBS program called the Colours of Infinity; this program presented by Arthur C. Clarke (you remember 2001 A Space Odyssey) discusses awe- inspiring information about the Mandelbrot fractals. I tell you if you haven't indulged in fractals you haven't lived.

Believe it or not the existence of fractals is owed to the computer. Prior to the 1980's pictorial representations of fractals could not be generated without the aid of the computer. Of course they exist in nature in the branching of trees, the wonders of our circulatory system and the lovely creations of nature called snowflakes. Well.....let me get to the point here....the program went on to say that we as humans find patterns appealing; in fact the Mandalbrot fractal mesmerizes us. Perhaps this tie in to the Jungian collective consciousness hits us squarely in this appeal. It's all fascinating!

Comment Questions....Randi K asked about the distaff I was using in my last post. It's a macrame version of a distaff used to hold fiber to keep it away from the whirling spindle and forming singles. A dear friend, Sue made it and gave it to me. It works very well.

Lastly Sloth-Knits wanted to know how to use preserved lemons. I've been told they can be used in Middle East dishes. Perhaps other sin the blog world can share other uses.

7 comments:

Marina said...

Rona is beautiful! I'm glad to see she's back ;-)

Beth S. said...

This design has long been a favorite of mine. I hope you finish her soon! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to add that program to the Netflix queue. Is that "our" Carol R from from the knitting guild?

Anonymous said...

Oh Cindy, Rona looks beautiful...come on now, you can do it. I did the same thing, I put her down for a while, took a rest, then kind of by accident had come across her and that was it, I didn't put it down until it was finished...

Sharon said...

UFOs - aren't we supposed to collect them??

vanessa said...

rona :-)

randi K design said...

Cindy, I love that sweater! It will be georgeous!!!!
Randi