Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Gathering

Every two years spinners in the northeast get together for fiber workshops. This weekend I will be attending The Gathering for the second time in NewHampshire. I attended in Rhode Island the last time. I was so happy to learn more about spindle spinning and plying from Rita Buchanan that year. If you are a northeastern spinner and wish to attend in the future, join the Northeast Handspinners Guild.

This year I look forward to learning about Bosnian crochet from Deborah Pulliam called "Traditional Threads for Traditional Techniques: Bosnian Crochet & Fingerlooping".

In an attempt to pack for the trip I'm trying to think about what projects to take along for evening free time for spinning and knitting. I may take along the Mohave fiber that I need to finish or the Rambouillet and silk I've started spinning. It's so hard to decide. Then I must think about what knitting project to tote along. Of course....who cares about clothes and other necessities ...LOL What shall I bring ......it's a puzzlement.

Below you see Mohave merino spun in a two ply. I hope to have enough for a small shawl.The last pic is a gift of handspun gray wool from fleece to yarn that I've finally finished for a friend.
It 's a worsted two ply spun by flicking the locks to preserve the subtle color changes of the wool. Now back to packing.....








5 comments:

AR said...

Ooh, pretty yarn! Have a great time. Someday, I'll learn to spin, I hope!

textilejunkie said...

That Mohave merino is beautiful and is going to make one awesome shawl. Have a great weekend.

vanessa said...

beautiful handspun :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn. Have a wonderful time at the Gathering. (That name always makes me think "Double, double, toil and trouble"...!)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Handflicking....*sigh*